Saturday, March 15, 2014

Anyone can travel

The more I travel, the more questions people have about how much money I make and how I can afford to go to such distant places and even pay for my lady to join me. I must be loaded, right? Actually, no. Far from that. It's another one of those hard truths that people can't accept - anyone that is not exactly poor can travel around the world. And I don't mean poor in the sense of barely makes a living, I mean poor in the sense of living in the street and going hungry. That guy is the only one that cannot travel. You might think I'm crazy and I'm talking nonsense, but if you recalculate your finances, sooner or later you'll figure out that one beer less every week and cooking your own food instead of eating out at a restaurant will in a year accumulate to a plane ticket to the other side of the world. 

Prices of plane tickets have gone down, intercontinental flights have halved and continental low cost airlines have a price that probably makes next to no profit for them. You can get from Europe to Australia for less than $500 or from USA to Europe for $300 if you get the super awesome deals and have a flexible schedule. The regular prices might be double this price, which is still not much. Europe and Asia have low costers which are priced at less than $50 one way. And when you get a plane ticket, the major part of the budget is taken care of. Then you have to worry about food and accommodation. Each country has its poor citizens and a way to host them, so each country has a cheap place to eat and mostly also a cheap place to sleep. If there's nothing on hotel search websites, you can always find a couch surfer. Of course these prices will depend on the country's standard of living as well, so not all countries will be affordable on the same level. But in any case, there is always a way to make any travel cheap. 

I guess the reasons why people cannot afford traveling are manifold. The most important factor here is how much people want to save money all the time. You people save so much it's unbelievable! What are you saving for? Some save for a new phone or a new TV, some save for a new car, some save for a house, some for a yacht etc. Pretty much every single one of you out there is saving for something. I don't. I have all I need. I have a phone, a computer, an old car, and a place to stay. I need absolutely nothing else. Everyone around me is the same - they have everything they need, yet they constantly dream about a sports car they can't afford or a new phone that's just coming out or I don't know what. To what end? To wanting a newer same thing as soon as they get the thing they dream of. This makes absolutely no sense to me and is also the major reason why I have more money than the people that make more money than me. The second big factor is that people live a daily life that's full of unneeded expenses. Every day, I see people drinking in bars, eating in restaurants, stuff like that. Can it really be a special occasion every day? I don't think so. Socializing can be done also if you walk through a park with your friends, and it's free. Last but not least is the way people want to travel. If one wants to relax in a 5* all inclusive resort, things get very different. Of course even then you might find some good last minute deals from travel agencies that have leftover spots, but regular luxurious deals will usually be very expensive. 

I realize all of this is particular to me. My values tend to be very different from people around me and I'm very well aware of that. The only lesson I'm trying to teach here is that no matter how much money you earn, if you can appreciate what you already have, you lead a modest daily life and are adventurous enough to travel as a local in the country of your destination, you can afford to go anywhere you want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment